This blog contains my thoughts and feelings only. It IS titled, "The Daily Life of Carol: My Thoughts, Rants & Raves." They do not represent those of anyone else. While I still can't imagine how my little blog is making the rounds locally, it is mine and mine only. If you are going to be offended or feel it necessary to whine or complain to those completely unassociated to me and my blog, stop reading and find something else to do with your time.

Friday, May 31, 2013

Bad Book Reviews

I do not know what to do with bad book reviews. I dislike writing bad book reviews - unless, of course, the book was so horrible that I got mad. But, writing a bad review might discourage someone else from reading that book. Maybe the author had a bad day (or editor), maybe I did not like that particular book but somebody else would. So, I wanted to write a bad review but just could not do it.

The author is well-known. I gave one a try. The story dragged on forever. I truly thought that I would never get to the end. The murder mystery was ridiculous. With the first murder, I knew who the killer was and that was disappointing. It was not just boring and uninteresting...it also had an ick factor.

The book is about a female firefighter who meets the love of her life and they get married. (I love a Hollywood ending.) Her mother abandoned her as a baby, so she grew up with just her father. Okay, fine. The dad is in the book and he is a great character. Only, about 1/4th into the book, the dad starts his own romantic, um, encounter. He meets the woman of his dreams and they get married. The problem is the book mentions the dad and his new lady having relations. Nothing specific, but still.

Nobody wants to think about their parents having sex. Never. Ever. My parents had four daughters but they never had sex. I refuse to think about that. La, la, la, la, la.....I'm not listening to you! So, it really creeped me out that the 26-year-old daughter and the middle-aged dad are both getting it on with someone...in the same book. Ew. Write a series about the characters, but not both stories in the same book. Isn't there a rule about that? There should be. Overall, I did not mind their love story but it was just thrown at me. There was no advanced warning. Where did those chapter(s) come from?! I like books about second chances, but give me a better description or book cover so I can decide whether I want to read their story.

So, what to do about a bad book review? Should I reveal the title and author? I just do not know......so I did not. This time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Winter Springs, Florida, United States
I am a stay-at-home mom to three boys (18, 16, 14), three Mini-Dachsunds, and a wife to an incredible husband {think MacGyver}. I am Catholic. I am passionate about making a difference in my world while still making a great life for my children and family. Besides being a mom, I am also a blogger for freddythewienerdog.blogspot.com and thedailylifeofcarol.blogspot.com. I hope to make my voice heard and make a difference in my own way.