This blog contains my thoughts and feelings only. It IS titled, "The Daily Life of Carol: My Thoughts, Rants & Raves." They do not represent those of anyone else. While I still can't imagine how my little blog is making the rounds locally, it is mine and mine only. If you are going to be offended or feel it necessary to whine or complain to those completely unassociated to me and my blog, stop reading and find something else to do with your time.

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Book Review: Die Trying (Jack Reacher, No. 2) by Lee Child

Lee Child broke my heart. Ripped it right out of my chest and shredded it into little pieces. At least, that's how I felt after reading Die Trying (Jack Reacher, No. 2). Yes, I'll explain. But first, the basics.....

Jack Reacher was a Major in the Army military police. (Read The Affair to discover why Reacher left the Army). After a life of growing up on Marine bases and then 27 years in the Army, he decides to freelance.... be a hobo.... a traveling man. His parents and brother are dead, so he has no ties to any particular place. He wanders across America.

In Die Trying, Reacher is in Chicago for a few days. He's walking along a sidewalk when a young woman exits a dry-cleaners. She previously injured her knee so she's having difficulty with balancing her dry-cleaning, pushing the door open, and hanging onto her cane. Reacher stops to help. Immediately, three guys surround them and kidnap the young woman - Reacher too. The young woman is FBI Agent Holly Johnson.

The short version of the story is Reacher and Holly's travel to the kidnappers' compound and their potential escape. Of course, there are more plot twists but I never want to tell too much. The book started off slowly for me, and I'm not even sure why. It's a good Reacher story. As usual, he beats up the bad guys and saves the damsel in distress.

Spoiler alert: But, how did Lee Child rip my heart out? Because in all the Reacher books I've read, this is the first and only book that Reacher falls in love with the girl..... but, she loves somebody else! She walks away from him in the end, and he is devastated. Of course, she had to leave him because it is only the second book that Lee Child wrote and Reacher is a traveling man so he could not stay with her, but still..... I was so upset at the end. "It wasn't the end of the world. Just felt like it." Poor, poor Jack.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Winter Springs, Florida, United States
I am a stay-at-home mom to three boys (18, 16, 14), three Mini-Dachsunds, and a wife to an incredible husband {think MacGyver}. I am Catholic. I am passionate about making a difference in my world while still making a great life for my children and family. Besides being a mom, I am also a blogger for freddythewienerdog.blogspot.com and thedailylifeofcarol.blogspot.com. I hope to make my voice heard and make a difference in my own way.