This blog contains my thoughts and feelings only. It IS titled, "The Daily Life of Carol: My Thoughts, Rants & Raves." They do not represent those of anyone else. While I still can't imagine how my little blog is making the rounds locally, it is mine and mine only. If you are going to be offended or feel it necessary to whine or complain to those completely unassociated to me and my blog, stop reading and find something else to do with your time.

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Seton Home Study School

Today was Steven's first day as a part-time high schooler and a part-time home schooler. It was a very good day.

Recently, I was flipping through Catholic Digest and came across an ad for Seton Home Study High School. I checked out their website and was very pleased with three amazing things: (1) an accredited high school diploma, (2) a modified curriculum tailored for Steven, and (3) affordable. This was truly heaven sent!! www.setonhome.org.

It was an absolute joy to speak with the Special Services Counselor. We spent 90 minutes reviewing each course. Seton developed a program just for special needs students - modified curriculum, easier lessons, simpler tests, etc. For instance, instead of having Steven trying to write essays (very difficult), he may take multiple choice quizzes (very doable). Steven doesn't have to read as many novels as the regular curriculum, and he can take two years to complete Algebra 1. Whew! And, Steven can proceed at his own pace.


Pope John Paul II and Dr. Clark,
Director of the Seton Home Study School
Seton is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (recognized by the U.S. Dept. of Education), so Steven can earn an accredited high school diploma. Steven needs 22 high school credits for his diploma (5-6 classes per year). From his first semester at the public high school, he already earned three credits. So, Steven didn't need to take all five courses for Seton. We dropped Science and he's taking Religion, English Literature, Grammar and Algebra 1.

This morning Steven attended his regular 3rd and 4th period classes (Social Personal Skills and weight training). He stayed for lunch with his friends and then came home. He worked through his home study courses, but it only took 1 1/2 hours. He didn't want to double-up lessons for the day, so I supplemented with other things (like videos). He'll also read an extra book for personal reading too. But, every little bit helps.

It was a pleasant day for Steven and all of his school stress was gone. No crowds, no noise, and no disruptive students. Yippee!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Winter Springs, Florida, United States
I am a stay-at-home mom to three boys (18, 16, 14), three Mini-Dachsunds, and a wife to an incredible husband {think MacGyver}. I am Catholic. I am passionate about making a difference in my world while still making a great life for my children and family. Besides being a mom, I am also a blogger for freddythewienerdog.blogspot.com and thedailylifeofcarol.blogspot.com. I hope to make my voice heard and make a difference in my own way.