This blog contains my thoughts and feelings only. It IS titled, "The Daily Life of Carol: My Thoughts, Rants & Raves." They do not represent those of anyone else. While I still can't imagine how my little blog is making the rounds locally, it is mine and mine only. If you are going to be offended or feel it necessary to whine or complain to those completely unassociated to me and my blog, stop reading and find something else to do with your time.

Saturday, August 18, 2012

Volunteering in the classroom.

Update: 9/24/12 - The following are my thoughts and feelings only. They do not represent those of the band teacher or the school. While I still can't imagine how my little blog is making the rounds locally, it is mine and mine only. If you are going to be offended or feel it necessary to complain to the school, stop reading and find something else to do with your time.

This week, I assisted the band teacher at my son's middle school. It was insane. Each student had four papers for their parents to complete and return by the end of the week. Four days....four days! And, some students still didn't have their paperwork returned on-time or their parents completed only a portion of it. To save paper, the teacher printed back-to-back. Much of the paperwork was missing page two. Why? The teacher also sent home instructions that all four pages, with their titles, needed to be completed. Why did so many parents think "1, 3, 4...okay, I'm finished!"


Then, there were the parents who wrote notes on the paperwork to the teacher. Let's see, there were the stupid ones..... "It says to go to website xyz.com and read the handbook. So, what should I do?" Hum, go to website xyz.com and read the handbook?? "I checked off that I would like be a chaperone on field-trips. What does this entail?" Hum, that you chaperone on a field-trip?? "Why do I have to sign a permission slip for Billy to go on field-trips?" Hum, maybe we cannot take Billy off-campus with your p-e-r-m-i-s-s-i-o-n?? Maybe you wouldn't want your child to leave campus without your p-e-r-m-i-s-s-i-o-n??


Much to my surprise were the nasty comments. My favorite was the dad who complained that he sent three emails to the teacher last year and never received the band notification emails in return. Hum, your child was in band for an entire school year and you didn't once bother to schedule a teacher's conference?? Or, how about a quick phone call?? How about checking your spam folder?? How about providing a legible email address to the teacher?! I know...I inputted all the parental email addresses for this school year. For this particular dad I could not read his handwriting, so I asked his daughter to read his address for me. Apparently, she didn't know it and couldn't read his handwriting either. So, she guessed what she thought it was. I told her that I would input that into the address book. If  he doesn't get the test email this weekend then something's wrong and we need to work through the problem to get it fixed. Like, checking your spam folder. 



So, I sent a test email. It had paragraphs numbered 1-4. Clearly from the email - or so I thought - no response was required. She has 325 students. Most students provided email addresses for both parents. {Guilty!!} The parents must know their child is not the only one in band. Okay. But, do some people really need to send a reply, "Thanks! Have a great weekend" or whatever?? Paragraph two said that "Paperwork was due this week. If your student is missing any paperwork, he/she has been advised and an additional copy of the paperwork needed was sent home with them." Immediately, one parent replied, "Susie Lou turned in her papers this week. If she's missing anything, please let me know." Seriously??

Of course, there's the teenagers. They make a lot of noise, without their instruments. I certainly hope the noise switches to something that actually sounds like music when they all start playing. Band 2 and Band 3 were the most interesting ones. She asks them to warm up, and it sounds like a bunch of screeching monkeys.** Everybody can't start playing basic scales?? No, let's just blow thru our instruments and make the most obnoxious noise possible. 


I do not know how this teacher does it. She's so sweet, and kind, and nice, and polite yet she rules those classes with an iron fist...without seeming like she's doing it. Unreal. If you do not appreciate your child's teachers, or hear someone complaining about the public school system - then spend a day or two - or a whole friggin' week - helping out in the classroom.



**These remarks were made during the first week of school. Of course, the kids are better, and they've learned to respect their instruments more. Again, if you're going to be offended by my personal thoughts and feelings, read something else. It's like turning the dial if you don't like the television program. Or, better yet, why don't you volunteer at the school.....you obviously have a lot of time on your hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Winter Springs, Florida, United States
I am a stay-at-home mom to three boys (18, 16, 14), three Mini-Dachsunds, and a wife to an incredible husband {think MacGyver}. I am Catholic. I am passionate about making a difference in my world while still making a great life for my children and family. Besides being a mom, I am also a blogger for freddythewienerdog.blogspot.com and thedailylifeofcarol.blogspot.com. I hope to make my voice heard and make a difference in my own way.