This blog contains my thoughts and feelings only. It IS titled, "The Daily Life of Carol: My Thoughts, Rants & Raves." They do not represent those of anyone else. While I still can't imagine how my little blog is making the rounds locally, it is mine and mine only. If you are going to be offended or feel it necessary to whine or complain to those completely unassociated to me and my blog, stop reading and find something else to do with your time.

Monday, August 13, 2012

California Attorney General Sues “Help Hospitalized Veterans” Charity

Government and private watchdogs are on the heels of another large charity. The charity Help Hospitalized Veterans, a California charity, is accused of scamming millions. One of those watchdogs, Charity Navigator, similarly outed Soldiers' Angels with a 1-star financial rating in 2012. http://www.charitynavigator.org/

Many reports and statements are unfolding in the media, such as:

"At the same time, it has ranked for more than a decade at the bottom of lists by watchdog groups that rate nonprofit organizations based on their financial management and abilities to use most of their donations toward their causes. CharityWatch says about 35% of Help Hospitalized Veterans' funds go toward programs to aid veterans. The recommended standard is about 65%." http://www.mercurynews.com/



Roger Chapin, founder of two charities created to
help military veterans, appears at a hearing of the
House Oversight Committee in 2008. 
(Sarah L. Voisin  /  Washington Post via Getty Images)
On August 9, 2012, Attorney General Kamala D. Harris filed a civil lawsuit seeking the removal of officers and directors of Help Hospitalized Veterans. The complaint alleges that those running the organization engaged in self-dealing, paid excessive executive compensation and engaged in fraudulent fundraising and other unlawful activities. {Examples cited include a lump-sum retirement payment of $1.96 million to former president Roger Chapin in 2009 and golf club memberships totaling $80,000 for board members.} The lawsuit also seeks to recover more than $4.3 million in funds improperly diverted from Help Hospitalized Veterans. Those funds were meant to support several programs serving veterans and active-duty military, including providing arts and craft kits to hospitalized veterans. Instead, they were used to enrich the organization’s officers and fundraisers. http://oag.ca.gov/news/press-releases/attorney-general-kamala-d-harris-files-lawsuit-seeking-removal-directors-and; http://news.yahoo.com/california-attorney-general-sues-help-hospitalized-veterans-184400927--finance.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Winter Springs, Florida, United States
I am a stay-at-home mom to three boys (18, 16, 14), three Mini-Dachsunds, and a wife to an incredible husband {think MacGyver}. I am Catholic. I am passionate about making a difference in my world while still making a great life for my children and family. Besides being a mom, I am also a blogger for freddythewienerdog.blogspot.com and thedailylifeofcarol.blogspot.com. I hope to make my voice heard and make a difference in my own way.