This blog contains my thoughts and feelings only. It IS titled, "The Daily Life of Carol: My Thoughts, Rants & Raves." They do not represent those of anyone else. While I still can't imagine how my little blog is making the rounds locally, it is mine and mine only. If you are going to be offended or feel it necessary to whine or complain to those completely unassociated to me and my blog, stop reading and find something else to do with your time.

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Book Review: Live Free or Die by Jessie Crockett

Live Free or Die (A Granite Slate Mystery) by Jessie Crockett is a light read. Whether you like it or not depends on your feelings about small town America.

Gwen Fifield is the local postmistress and Assistant Fire Chief in Winslow Falls, New Hampshire. When the Fire Chef suffers a heart attack, Gwen must take the lead on a series of local fires. The latest fire at the town's museum turns up a dead body. Hugh Larsen from the State Fire Marshall's Office is Gwen's co-investigator and possible romantic interest. Thank goodness for Hugh!

The book is filled with the various town citizens, newly arrived immigrants, busybodies, the town harridan, and the requisite gatherings of old men. Not surprisingly, the locals citizens blame the immigrants. Okay, fine. This could happen in any small town, USA. But, have you been to a tight-knit New England town? Yowza! This was dead on. [No pun intended.]

Gwen's constantly reminding everybody of her deceased husband (even though she's glad the two-timer is gone) is annoying. Also, I disliked that the writer inserted a young, female character. Other than a brief, b-r-i-e-f phone call, she's never mentioned again. She was supposed to add conflict for Gwen and Hugh, but the writer seems to have forgotten she inputted the character. This was a glaring omission. When I finished the book I thought, "What about that female character?" Not, "Wow, that's the killer?!" Not good.

After reading hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of mysteries, some books are totally predictable. Not this one. The writer threw in a couple of twists that I didn't see coming, but totally glad she did. I can't mention what because I want it to be a surprise for you too.

I actually recommend Live Free or Die (A Granite Slate Mystery) by Jessie Crockett. The pros outweigh the cons. Overall, it's a light-hearted, quick read. Enjoy!

P.S. New Hampshire's motto is "Live Free or Die." This really had nothing to do with the story, and it doesn't make sense why the author choose this title. If you figure that out, let me know.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Winter Springs, Florida, United States
I am a stay-at-home mom to three boys (18, 16, 14), three Mini-Dachsunds, and a wife to an incredible husband {think MacGyver}. I am Catholic. I am passionate about making a difference in my world while still making a great life for my children and family. Besides being a mom, I am also a blogger for freddythewienerdog.blogspot.com and thedailylifeofcarol.blogspot.com. I hope to make my voice heard and make a difference in my own way.