This blog contains my thoughts and feelings only. It IS titled, "The Daily Life of Carol: My Thoughts, Rants & Raves." They do not represent those of anyone else. While I still can't imagine how my little blog is making the rounds locally, it is mine and mine only. If you are going to be offended or feel it necessary to whine or complain to those completely unassociated to me and my blog, stop reading and find something else to do with your time.

Monday, September 17, 2012

Book Review: Vampire for Hire Series by J.R. Rain

I started reading the Vampire for Hire series J.R. Rain with Moon Dance, Book #1. It was free on Amazon. I have since read American Vampire and Vampire Moon, but they were $3.99 each. The novels are actually short stories. My Kindle ends at 75%-80%. The rest of the downloads are previews of his other books. I find this annoying. I paid for a novel, so I want a novel. It's not really a series as much one book chopped up into little pieces.

The premise is a good one - Samantha Moon was turned into a vampire six years ago. She's a mother of two children, married, has a sister, and the usual array of other characters. First of all, you can tell these "books" are written by a man. Samantha finds every man sexy, except for drug dealers and other baddies. She even thinks the older, overweight, donut-jelly-stains-on-his-shirt-detective sexy. Seriously? Dude.......

Secondly, the storyline and characters are not well thought out. There's a lot of repetition - a lot of repetition - and conflicting subplots. I found myself continually yelling at my Kindle, "Oh, no! Don't go there," but, of course, he would. The best character of the "books" is Kingsley. A hunk-o-hunk of burning love, and a werewolf. He even survives getting shot in the face five times. Cool. But, J.R. Rain must be jealous of his own character. Samantha constantly spurns Kingsley, even though he loves her. He even provides her with goblets of blood. Now that's sexy. Of course, whenever she needs a friend, she turns to him. And, then, again, she wants nothing to do with him....yada, yada, yada.

Thirdly, she hates being a vampire. She loves being a vampire. She hates being a vampire. She loves being a vampire. She hates being a vampire. She loves being a vampire. Shut up, please!

I suggest reading the first one (Moon Dance) because it's free. However, buying a chapter at a time - at $3.99 each - is not sexy. The storyline isn't consistent enough to recommend buying the other "books" in the series. My local library doesn't have ebooks of #4 and #5, so I'm done reading. I don't want to pay another $3.99 for a short story and a lot of advertising. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Winter Springs, Florida, United States
I am a stay-at-home mom to three boys (18, 16, 14), three Mini-Dachsunds, and a wife to an incredible husband {think MacGyver}. I am Catholic. I am passionate about making a difference in my world while still making a great life for my children and family. Besides being a mom, I am also a blogger for freddythewienerdog.blogspot.com and thedailylifeofcarol.blogspot.com. I hope to make my voice heard and make a difference in my own way.