This blog contains my thoughts and feelings only. It IS titled, "The Daily Life of Carol: My Thoughts, Rants & Raves." They do not represent those of anyone else. While I still can't imagine how my little blog is making the rounds locally, it is mine and mine only. If you are going to be offended or feel it necessary to whine or complain to those completely unassociated to me and my blog, stop reading and find something else to do with your time.

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Book Review: Cassandra Palmer Series by Karen Chance

 3/24/13: Update - Okay, I have now read the series, Touch the Dark (Book 1), Claimed by  Shadow (Book 2), Embrace the Night (Book 3), Curse the Dawn (Book 4), and Hunt the Moon (Book 5). I am enjoying this series, but they must be read in order. The first three books have way too much detail and not enough action. Yada, yada, yada. Book 4 is really amusing and why I'm willing to give this series another chance.

The heroine of the books is Cassandra Palmer, who is to be crowned as Pythia, the world's ruling clairvoyant. She can also time-shift, which is helpful in fighting evil mages who are trying change history to what they want. I wasn't interested in Cassie in the slightest. Boring. She is constantly whining about her situation and bickering with those who are trying to help her. She runs around clueless, make stupid mistakes and gets people killed. She drives me nuts. I want Cassie to be the tough, cool chick of Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson. Totally different writers, but I think Cassie would be a must better character.

However, the series is worth reading because of the secondary characters. There's Mircea, master vampire and her betrothed; Pritkin, half human/half demon who is training her in self-defense; Marco, an ancient and very cool vampire who is head of her vampire bodyguard team (a former Roman Centurion!); and Jonah, the faerie version of Tim Gunn (Project Runway).

Compel yourself to get thru the first three books and then it gets better. Hunt the Moon (Book 5) ended with a cliffhanger. I don't care about Cassie, but I do care about the others. I'll keep reading to find out what happens next. Just, caveat emptor. I have a love/hate relationship with these books, but I still say give a try.

P.S. This series is rated M for mature audiences only.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Winter Springs, Florida, United States
I am a stay-at-home mom to three boys (18, 16, 14), three Mini-Dachsunds, and a wife to an incredible husband {think MacGyver}. I am Catholic. I am passionate about making a difference in my world while still making a great life for my children and family. Besides being a mom, I am also a blogger for freddythewienerdog.blogspot.com and thedailylifeofcarol.blogspot.com. I hope to make my voice heard and make a difference in my own way.