This blog contains my thoughts and feelings only. It IS titled, "The Daily Life of Carol: My Thoughts, Rants & Raves." They do not represent those of anyone else. While I still can't imagine how my little blog is making the rounds locally, it is mine and mine only. If you are going to be offended or feel it necessary to whine or complain to those completely unassociated to me and my blog, stop reading and find something else to do with your time.

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Book Review: Alphabet Books by Sue Grafton

Years ago, I read Sue Grafton's alphabet books - A is for Alibi, B is for Burglar, C is for Corpse..... Then, I got busy with work.... busy with kids.... and I forgot about Sue's books. I don't remember what letter I last finished.

Recently, I was surfing the online public library when a collection of her books popped up - Q is for Quarry, R is for Ricochet, S is for Silence, and T is for Trespass. I've made it through Q and R, so far. All main character of her books is Kinsey Millhone, a private investigator. 

I've had to get used to her style of writing again. The Jonathan Maberry books movie a lot faster. And, Sue adds a lot of detail to the story that I don't really need. For instance, she completely describes the inside of a building, yet it's not pertinent to the main plot and the main character never returns there. I'm not saying it's bad, just different.
Jane Doe
August 1969

I thoroughly enjoyed Q is for Quarry. The storyline in this one was awesome, and I really cheered for the victim. Don't miss the author's note about the inspiration for this book - an unsolved murder in California. This portion of the book left me in tears. And, Sue's sponsorship of the real girl's forensic facial reconstruction was wonderful and eerie. I hope somebody recognizes her and they can finally put a name on her grave. 

R is for Ricochet was okay. I couldn't cheer for the victim, and I thought Kinsey's character made some really stupid decisions, over and over and over again. And, it really bugged me that Kinsey didn't have a computer or cell phone. Both Q and R are set in 1987. Q took place in mostly rinky-dink town that wouldn't have a cell phone tower. So, I never even thought of it then. But, R took place in cities in California. It wasn't right that she didn't own a cell phone or computer. Of course, when there was a computer "in play," so to speak, it was hysterical that floppy disks were involved. Oh, my goodness! I remember those.

I'm looking forward to continuing her alphabet series - something that I can't say about all authors. If you're looking for a mystery book, don't miss Q is for Quarry. I may read it again. Yes, it was that good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Winter Springs, Florida, United States
I am a stay-at-home mom to three boys (18, 16, 14), three Mini-Dachsunds, and a wife to an incredible husband {think MacGyver}. I am Catholic. I am passionate about making a difference in my world while still making a great life for my children and family. Besides being a mom, I am also a blogger for freddythewienerdog.blogspot.com and thedailylifeofcarol.blogspot.com. I hope to make my voice heard and make a difference in my own way.