This blog contains my thoughts and feelings only. It IS titled, "The Daily Life of Carol: My Thoughts, Rants & Raves." They do not represent those of anyone else. While I still can't imagine how my little blog is making the rounds locally, it is mine and mine only. If you are going to be offended or feel it necessary to whine or complain to those completely unassociated to me and my blog, stop reading and find something else to do with your time.

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Chick-fil-A and Freedom of Speech

Kraft has an Oreo with rainbow-colored filling and believes in same-sex marriage. Good for them. Chick-fil-A donates to Christian charities and does not believe in same-sex marriage. Good for them. 

Neither company asks for your sexual orientation before purchasing their products. Both are happy to take your money. Ah, free market enterprise! Both companies are entitled to spend their profits to donate to whichever charities they want. Ah, free society!

Both companies and their CEOs, or whatever, are entitled to their opinions, and to express them. Ah, free speech! But, that's the rub, huh? I'm always surprised - which I shouldn't be anymore, but I still am - at the level of hate aimed toward someone whose opinion does not agree with someone else's. One comment left on Chick-fil-A's Facebook page was something like, "I won't eat chicken filled with hate!" Really? Seriously? Chicken is filled with... chicken (at least I hope so). But, that Facebook comment was filled with hate.

And, that's the importance of our 1st Amendment. Freedom of Speech. While we may not agree with others, the freedom to express unpopular viewpoints - from either side of an issue - must be protected too.

So, while I don't usually eat at Chick-fil-A (too cost prohibitive), I'll be there July 25 and August 1 -- both days suggested for "Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day" -- because I do believe in Freedom of Speech, and the right to protect it.

P.S. Kraft and Chick-fil-A? Yeah, they built those......

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Winter Springs, Florida, United States
I am a stay-at-home mom to three boys (18, 16, 14), three Mini-Dachsunds, and a wife to an incredible husband {think MacGyver}. I am Catholic. I am passionate about making a difference in my world while still making a great life for my children and family. Besides being a mom, I am also a blogger for freddythewienerdog.blogspot.com and thedailylifeofcarol.blogspot.com. I hope to make my voice heard and make a difference in my own way.