This blog contains my thoughts and feelings only. It IS titled, "The Daily Life of Carol: My Thoughts, Rants & Raves." They do not represent those of anyone else. While I still can't imagine how my little blog is making the rounds locally, it is mine and mine only. If you are going to be offended or feel it necessary to whine or complain to those completely unassociated to me and my blog, stop reading and find something else to do with your time.

Sunday, July 29, 2012

DIY Homemade Powdered Laundry Detergent

I've been reading DIY websites, blogs and pins looking for economical items for around the house. After mixing and trying different laundry detergent recipes, I like this one the best. {No, I'm not being paid by any of the following companies to advertise their products. I'm just passing along what I like.}

Let's start with the secret ingredient: Purex Crystals! I use the 28 oz. blue bottle with "fresh waters" scent. It was a safe "manly" bet. {My guys don't want to smell like lavendar.} It smells terrific. It makes your clean laundry - and the whole house - smell nice, but not overpowering. Whatever laundry detergent you use, don't leave out this secret ingredient.

Next, is 20 Mule Team Borax. This was a little difficult to find - or at least it was for me - until I finally asked for it. The white box is the new packaging, and some stores may still have the old mustard yellow box. You'll need 10 cups.

Then, you'll need Arm & Hammer Washing Soda. NOT, Arm & Hammer Baking Soda....Washing Soda. You'll find it in the laundry aisle. It's in a yellow box (not orange). You'll need 10 cups.


Finally, you'll need one bar of Zote soap. Yes, Zote. My Walmart has pink or white - I use the pink. I buy one bar and finely grate it at home. You can buy the laundry flakes but it's 3 times as much money, and the whole point is the most economical laundry detergent. My Walmart has it on the top shelf at the end of the laundry aisle for 98¢. One finely grated bar makes about five cups. Mix the other ingredients first. If you start with the Zote soap, it'll melt.

So, four ingredients - 1 28 oz. bottle of Purex Crystals. 10 cups of 20 Mule Team Borax. 10 cups of Arm & Hammer Washing Soda. 1 finely grated bar of Zote soap. Oh, and a 5-gallon bucket with an airtight lid for safekeeping. {I used an old laundry detergent bucket w/lid.} I use an old Oxyclean bottle for day-to-day use, so I'm not dipping into the 5-gallon bucket all the time. The best part?! You only need 3 tablespoons of detergent per load. Yes!! 3 tablespoons. That's so great.


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Winter Springs, Florida, United States
I am a stay-at-home mom to three boys (18, 16, 14), three Mini-Dachsunds, and a wife to an incredible husband {think MacGyver}. I am Catholic. I am passionate about making a difference in my world while still making a great life for my children and family. Besides being a mom, I am also a blogger for freddythewienerdog.blogspot.com and thedailylifeofcarol.blogspot.com. I hope to make my voice heard and make a difference in my own way.