This blog contains my thoughts and feelings only. It IS titled, "The Daily Life of Carol: My Thoughts, Rants & Raves." They do not represent those of anyone else. While I still can't imagine how my little blog is making the rounds locally, it is mine and mine only. If you are going to be offended or feel it necessary to whine or complain to those completely unassociated to me and my blog, stop reading and find something else to do with your time.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Book Review: Angel with a Bullet (A Dixie Flynn Mystery) by M.C. Grant

Angel with a Bullet (A Dixie Flynn Mystery) is written by M.C. Grant, who is a pseudonym for Grant McKenzie. According to his Amazon.com bio, he's "an award-winning screenwriter, editor, and novelist. He is the author of Switch and No Cry for Help (both published by Bantam TransWorld UK)." I am unfamiliar with his work. 

I understand why he used a pseudonym for this book; it wasn't very good. It was just okay. Certainly not good enough to put his own "award-winning" name to it. I had to make it through 75% of the book [per my Kindle] before I started to like any of it. Then, I enjoyed the rest. Although, the ending was a bit over the top.  

The main character is Dixie Flynn, a investigative journalist in San Francisco. I could tell it was definitely written by a man. In the books I've read recently, a man writing a female lead character have no idea how women think, feel or act. I could provide vulgar examples from the book, but I won't. It's rather crass.

I preferred reading about Frank, a homicide detective and a secondary character. Actually, when I finished reading the book yesterday, I thought I would read the next book [not yet published] to see if it's worth the time to continuing reading. Today, after giving it some thought, I'm not going to read any more of this series. I would like to follow the stories of others in the book but not enough to read through Dixie's adventures too.

It wasn't bad, but I can't recommend it either. Read at your own risk.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Winter Springs, Florida, United States
I am a stay-at-home mom to three boys (18, 16, 14), three Mini-Dachsunds, and a wife to an incredible husband {think MacGyver}. I am Catholic. I am passionate about making a difference in my world while still making a great life for my children and family. Besides being a mom, I am also a blogger for freddythewienerdog.blogspot.com and thedailylifeofcarol.blogspot.com. I hope to make my voice heard and make a difference in my own way.