This blog contains my thoughts and feelings only. It IS titled, "The Daily Life of Carol: My Thoughts, Rants & Raves." They do not represent those of anyone else. While I still can't imagine how my little blog is making the rounds locally, it is mine and mine only. If you are going to be offended or feel it necessary to whine or complain to those completely unassociated to me and my blog, stop reading and find something else to do with your time.

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Book Review: The Surgeon: A Rizzoli & Isles Novel by Tess Gerritsen

The Surgeon: A Rizzoli & Isles Novel by Tess Gerritsen is a good murder mystery, with plenty of plot twists and turns to keep you off-track of the real killer. 

Pros: The majority of the book is about two characters: Thomas Moore, a homicide detective, and Dr. Catherine Cordell, a trauma surgeon. The setting is Boston, Massachusetts. They are very likeable characters, especially Detective Moore. Interestingly, both were wounded and had to overcome their circumstances to move on with their lives -- I like second chances. -- Moore was mourning the death of his wife and Cordell was a rape survivor. I really cheered for them throughout the book. 

Cons: I'm not sure why this is a Rizzoli & Isles novel. The character of Maura Isles is not in this book at all, and Jane Rizzoli is a secondary character. Also, Rizzoli is a very dislikeable, disagreeable character. I didn't even want her in the book, and I skimmed over her portions. Yes, yes, I understand she works in a male-dominated and "chauvinistic" police department. But, Thomas Moore is a pleasant character and treats women with kindness and respect. Rizzoli's anger toward him was unwarranted. In fact, there was too much man-hating in this book, and it seemed that poor Det. Moore was always getting the brunt of it. That grew tiresome.dddddddd

Result: Thankfully, it has a great and satisfying ending. (Whew!) I did enjoy most of the book and I recommend.

From my amazon.com perusals, the second book introduces the character of Maura Isles. I'll eventually read the next book to see if the Rizzoli character improves and how Isles will be introduced. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Winter Springs, Florida, United States
I am a stay-at-home mom to three boys (18, 16, 14), three Mini-Dachsunds, and a wife to an incredible husband {think MacGyver}. I am Catholic. I am passionate about making a difference in my world while still making a great life for my children and family. Besides being a mom, I am also a blogger for freddythewienerdog.blogspot.com and thedailylifeofcarol.blogspot.com. I hope to make my voice heard and make a difference in my own way.