This blog contains my thoughts and feelings only. It IS titled, "The Daily Life of Carol: My Thoughts, Rants & Raves." They do not represent those of anyone else. While I still can't imagine how my little blog is making the rounds locally, it is mine and mine only. If you are going to be offended or feel it necessary to whine or complain to those completely unassociated to me and my blog, stop reading and find something else to do with your time.

Monday, October 1, 2012

Book Review: Border Crossings: A Catherine James Thriller by Michael Weems

Border Crossings: A Catherine James Thriller by Michael Weems. I could not locate any other "Catherine James Thriller(s)," so I assume this is the only one so far. It was published in 2011.

It is the story of a female lawyer/private investigator. She travels to Cancun, Mexico, to help friends Jim and Amy Woodall search for their missing daughter Taylor Woodall. If you've ever considered a vacation in Mexico, this book makes you seriously re-consider. It does not cast a favorable light on Mexico...even at the end. Other main characters are Yesenia, Mexican citizen crossing the border into Texas, and Juan, a homeless, orphan boy in Cancun.

The prologue was excellent. It captured my attention and created a need to read the rest of the book. The storylines of Yesenia and Juan were good. The storylines of Taylor and Catherine were slow to start. I really got tired of the profanity. I almost stopped reading, and I'm glad I didn't. 

Matt [no last name given] arrives 40% thru the book (per my Kindle) in Chapter 25 (of 59). Matt is an ex-marine turned mercenary, and he adds the kick in the pants that this book needed. Matt was the most interesting character of the book. The author should make a series based on his character. This book doesn't compel me to read more Catherine James stories. But, it does make me want to read much, much more about Matt.

The plot and subplots don't necessary cross in the book. But, it has a satisfying ending for all of them. It's a good read, and had my heart pounding once Matt showed up to help Catherine. I recommend reading it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Winter Springs, Florida, United States
I am a stay-at-home mom to three boys (18, 16, 14), three Mini-Dachsunds, and a wife to an incredible husband {think MacGyver}. I am Catholic. I am passionate about making a difference in my world while still making a great life for my children and family. Besides being a mom, I am also a blogger for freddythewienerdog.blogspot.com and thedailylifeofcarol.blogspot.com. I hope to make my voice heard and make a difference in my own way.