This blog contains my thoughts and feelings only. It IS titled, "The Daily Life of Carol: My Thoughts, Rants & Raves." They do not represent those of anyone else. While I still can't imagine how my little blog is making the rounds locally, it is mine and mine only. If you are going to be offended or feel it necessary to whine or complain to those completely unassociated to me and my blog, stop reading and find something else to do with your time.

Friday, October 26, 2012

Book Reviews: First to Kill and Forced to Kill (The Nathan McBride Series) by Andrew Peterson

First to Kill and Forced to Kill (The Nathan McBride Series) by Andrew Peterson are awesome. Wow. If you like action adventure do not miss this series.

The main character is Nathan McBride, 43, a former Marine sniper and CIA operations officer. Harvey "Harv" Fontana, also 43, is his life-long friend from the Marines to the CIA to their current venture, owners of a security systems company in California. Nathan is single; Harv is a family man. The series begins 10 years after Nathan was captured and tortured in Nicaragua. Harv was his only rescuer. Because of his torture, Nathan has severe scars on his face and body.

The nemeses in the first book are Leonard Bridgestone, a retired Army Ranger, and his brother Ernie Bridgestone, a former Marine drill instructor. Nathan and Harv are asked to locate FBI Special Agent James Ortega, the grandson of the former FBI Director Frank Ortega. The Bridgestone brothers are dealing Semtex, a Czech-made odorless plastic explosive, used in many terrorist bombings. Interestingly, it is a real substance. Semtex, along with a detonating cap, can be inserted inside a 5" x 6" musical greeting card, undetected. Three pounds of Semtex packs enough punch to raze a two-story building. Libyan terrorists used Semtex in 1988 to down Pan Am Flight 103 over Lockerbie, Scotland, killing 270 people.

In the second book, it's his interrogation torturer from Nicaragua - Oh, yeah - Colonel Juan Montez de Oca. A body is found in the U.S. with the same torture scars as Nathan. Holly Simpson, FBI Special Agent in Charge (SAC) of the Sacramento field office brings Nathan and Harv into the case. {She was also in the first book.} They have to find de Oca before he tortures and kills again.

I r-e-a-l-l-y can't say anything else because I do not want to give anything away. The books are action-packed! Usually, I can put books down without finishing in one sweep. Some books take me days to get thru, but these two are different. Fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants, hang-on-it's-going-to-be-a-bumpy-ride. I loved these books. I'm going to read thru them again now that I know what happens. You know, read a little slower, take in more detail now that I'm not rushing thru trying to find out what happens next.

A fourth book is currently being written. The third book is a Kindle Serial - Option to Kill. I hate reading books in parts, so I'll wait for the entire book to be available before reading any of it.

I don't know what else to say other than Read. Them. Now!


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Winter Springs, Florida, United States
I am a stay-at-home mom to three boys (18, 16, 14), three Mini-Dachsunds, and a wife to an incredible husband {think MacGyver}. I am Catholic. I am passionate about making a difference in my world while still making a great life for my children and family. Besides being a mom, I am also a blogger for freddythewienerdog.blogspot.com and thedailylifeofcarol.blogspot.com. I hope to make my voice heard and make a difference in my own way.